LGB 22061 RhB Ge 6/6 II #702 Electric Locomotive


$1,449.99    20% Charge    $290.00 Charged Now


QUANTITY :
SPECIFICATION

Model: LGB-22061
Weight: 15.00
Availability: This item is a future item and 20% preorder charge applies

DESCRIPTION


LGB 22061 RhB Ge 6/6 II #702 Electric Locomotive

LGB 2019 New Product

The LGB 22061 RhB Class Ge 6/6 II Electric Locomotive,  is a model of the Rhaetian Railroad class Ge 6/6 II electric locomotive, road number 702. The locomotive has a prototypical paint and lettering scheme for Era VI. This is a special version with the corresponding lettering for the 60th birthday of this locomotive. Four wheelsets are driven by two powerful Bühler motors with ball bearings. The locomotive has an mfx/DCC sound decoder with many light and sound functions. The single-arm pantographs are powered by servomotors and can be controlled digitally. The locomotive has the correct reproduction of the articulation at its center and prototypical roof equipment.

Length over the buffers 25-5/8"  (65 cm).

Note:

This is a one-time series for the 60th birthday of this locomotive.

 
Highlights:

  • New mold tooling.

 

Article No. 22061
Scale      G (Narrow Gauge) 
Era VI
Rolling-stock Type    Electric Locomotives
Railroad Company RhB
Country of Operations 

Switzerland

The Ge 6/6 II Protoype Detail information

The Rhaetian Railway Ge 6/6 II is a class of heavy meter gauge electric locomotives operated by the Rhaetian Railway (RhB), which is the main railway network in the Canton of Graubünden, Switzerland. The class is so named because it was the second class of locomotives of the Swiss locomotive and railcar classification type Ge 6/6 to be acquired by the Rhaetian Railway. According to that type designation, Ge 6/6 denotes a narrow gauge electric adhesion locomotive with a total of six axles, all of which are drive axles. The twelve-wheel Ge 6/6 II machines (UIC classification Bo′Bo′Bo′) are currently used mainly to haul goods trains.

Background

In the 1950s, traffic on the Rhaetian Railway grew so strongly that the existing Ge 6/6 Crocodiles and the Ge 4/4 I Bo-Bo locomotives were no longer sufficient. Construction of the Bergell power station, begun in 1958 by the Elektrizitätswerk der Stadt Zürich, required the transfer of up to 1,000 tonnes (980 long tons; 1,100 short tons) of cement per day from the Untervaz to the Engadin. For that task, the Rhaetian Railway required a locomotive that could haul a load of 250 tonnes (250 long tons; 280 short tons) on the 3.5% gradients of the Albula Railway.

Commissioning

The two locomotives of the first production run (numbers 701 and 702) were delivered by the manufacturers Schweizerische Lokomotiv- und Maschinenfabrik (SLM), Brown, Boveri & Cie (BBC) and Maschinenfabrik Oerlikon (MFO) at a price of 230,000 Swiss francs each. The remaining locomotives in the class (numbers 703 to 707, each placed in service in 1965) were each 200,000 francs more expensive.

Construction

As delivered Technically, the electrical components of the Ge 6/6 II class corresponded with the then state of the art: (low voltage) on-load tap-changer transformer, and single phase universal traction motors. The two outermost bogies and the traction motors were exchangeable with the Ge 4/4 I. The box joint between the two halves of the locomotive permits only vertical movements. The Ge 6/6 II locomotives have a top speed of 80 kilometres per hour (50 mph), weigh 65 tonnes (64 long tons; 72 short tons), and develop 1,776 kilowatts (2,382 hp) at 46 kilometres per hour (29 mph). The maximum towing load is 205 tonnes (202 long tons; 226 short tons) at a gradient of 4.5%, and 280 tonnes (280 long tons; 310 short tons) at a 3.5% gradient.

Modifications

The first two locomotives were fitted with communication doors on the cab fronts. These were welded up in 1968–69, but the complete assimilation of the first two locos with the second series (which have two instead of three cab end windows) occurred only towards the end of the 1980s. In 1985 the Rhaetian Railway began repainting the class from green to red, and in 1998 the original diamond shaped pantographs were replaced with modern single arm pantographs.

The Ge 6/6 II today

After completion of the Bergell power station, the 700s were used predominantly to haul fast passenger trains on the Albula Railway. Since these duties were taken over by the Ge 4/4 III class, which was placed in service in 1993, the Ge 6/6 II has been found mainly at the head of goods trains on the whole of the Rhaetian Railway's core network (apart from the Arosa line). However, the 700s can still be seen hauling some passenger trains. Loco 701 carries the name of the Roman province of Raetia, which to this day has remained as a synonym for the Swiss province of Graubünden. Loco 702 bears the name Curia, which is the Latin name of the canton's capital city, Chur. The remaining locos, numbered 703–707, are named after major Graubünden municipalities, each situated at an end point of the core network. Adjacent to the name on every locomotive is the traffic number in white, along with the coat of arms of the applicable municipality (on loco 701, the Graubünden coat of arms). As for the future of the Ge 6/6 II class one locomotive is to be retained by Rhb Historic for preservation Loco 704 Davos for foreseeable future.

The following locomotives in the class are in service on the Rhaetian Railway:

List of the Ge 6/6 II locomotives of the Rhaetian Railway

Road number

Name

Commissioning

Status

701

Raetia

09.05.1958

in service 

702

Curia

19.06.1958

in service

703

St. Moritz

05.04.1965

in service

704

Davos

i03.02.1965

in service

705

Pontresina/Puntraschigna

05.05.1965

in service

706

Disentis/Mustér

09.06.1965

in service

707

Scuol1

05.07.1965

in service

1 until 1971 Schuls/Scuol

Recently Viewed


You May Also Like